Today in stitch we developed out free embroidery stitches from last session onto appliqué. I have done appliqué in the past but Maggie showed us how to use bond-a-web to create a neater appliqué. I found having the bond-a-web also made stitching onto it after much easier as I could concentrate in the stitch rather than the placement of material. Maggie also would like us to use backing paper when possible as this creates a more stable fabric to work with. I noticed that it also helps support the fabric so it doesn’t pull in the embroidery hoop.
This is the first sample I created and I wanted to mirror some collage drawings we and done in our drawing sessions. I wasn’t happy with the overall aesthetics of the piece. However I do feel that some of the free embroidery really reflected the torn edges I had captured in my drawings.
In the afternoon we moved onto painting bond-a-web and used this to iron on a simple paint design onto fabric. I wanted to mirror some of the simple and delicate I had learnt by using a thin paint brush in one of out first drawing tasks. I decided to create a woven pattern effect. This was to create more textured version of some cross hatching I had drawn out from out group collage. I really like the effect so far but would like to develop it further will more varied stitch lines.